THE $130M cultural and civic building that will dramatically change the look of Parramatta CBD is on its way with Lord Mayor Bob Dwyer turning the first sod recently.
Construction of the building at 5 Parramatta Square is expected to be completed in April 2022.
The six-storey building will contain Parramatta Council chambers as well as:
- A world-class public library at the forefront of technology, offering an extensive book collection, digital resources, 24/7 book return facility, study areas, and a permanent home for a significantly enhanced City of Parramatta Library;
- A Discovery Centre and cultural heritage spaces, including interactive displays and exhibitions, an Aboriginal Keeping Place for local Indigenous objects, a Research Lab and professional services providing access to Council’s cultural heritage collection, and cultural programs;
- A ground-floor foyer (the ‘Urban Living Room’) with concierge, visitor services, Council customer services and a café, as well as spaces for live performances and cultural activities;
- A multi-coloured digital facade with specially curated creative content to light up Parramatta Square;
- Community collaboration and creative spaces where the public can create, experiment, study, work, meet, exercise, play, and engage with Maker Space/STEM programs.
Cr Dwyer said 5 Parramatta Square will be an iconic landmark in the centre of global Sydney.
“5 Parramatta Square is a building for our community − a once-in-a-generation infrastructure project and acclaimed cultural hub where people can work, create, learn and play,” Cr Dwyer said.
“Councillors first committed to the vision of a new civic building within a world-class commercial and cultural precinct in 1996 and we are incredibly proud to see their ambitious plan taking shape.
“Parramatta Square is one of the biggest urban regeneration projects Australia has ever seen and 5 Parramatta Square will be the beating heart of this revitalized CBD precinct.
“From its world-leading sustainable design to its state-of-the-art facilities, 5 Parramatta Square reflects who we are as a City – vibrant, innovative and evolving, with a rich history and promising future.”
Council appointed Australian construction group Built in February to construct 5 Parramatta Square following a rigorous selective tender process. More than 200 short-term construction jobs will be created.
Built National Director Steve Boss said: “We are excited to be delivering not just a striking, place-making design in 5 Parramatta Square but also a 6-Star Green Star building. We will be creating more local jobs and training opportunities through a range of new apprenticeships and cadetships.”
- Designed by Manuelle Gautrand Architecture/DesignInc/Lacoste+Stevenson
- Cost $130M
- Construction by Built
- 250-plus construction jobs
- Completion April 2022